Sunday, March 11, 2007

"The deeper the sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?" --Kahil Gibran


I totally thought that today was going to be the day that Isaac would break the 4 lb mark, but he's been holding steady at just under. They weighed him tonight and he's at 3 lbs 15.9 oz. The last couple of days he has been super active though, so I can't say I'm surprised. He hates his CPAP so much and expends the majority of his energy trying to rip it out of his nose. It's actually quite entertaining.

When he got to 2 lbs we were ecstatic--3 lbs, he looked huge. Now 4 lbs is just obscene! It's crazy how your frame of reference can change everything. There was a baby that was in the bed next to Isaac for a few days last week who was 9.5 lbs. She was full term, but needed to be under observation due to labor complications. She seriously looked like a sumo wrestler compared to Isaac. It was freaky.

They knocked his CPAP pressure down to 6 tonight. He desats when he pulls it out, but when it's in he's fine. Hopefully this change will stick. At this rate it will take another 6 weeks to get off the CPAP. Hmmmm.

Yesterday was one of those crazy days where I realized very late in the day that I hadn't actually sat down at all. I was in some serious need of r&r. I went go hold Isaac in the evening which I don't normally do and it was soooo nice. The place was deserted. It was dark and quiet. I plugged in my ipod and listened to some very nice soothing modern folk. Amos Lee, Brett Dennen, Deb Talan/The Weepies, Jack Johnson. Ahhhhhhh. There is nothing better than just the right music at just the right time to put you in just the right mood. The only thing that would have made it more relaxing was if I was actually in my own house. Ah well, it gives me something to look forward to.

Isaac is making progress still--it's small, but steady. He is definitely not stagnating any more (halle-freekin-Lula!). He's getting old enough now (33 weeks gestation) that he can soon be transferred to an open bed instead of a covered isolette. I am very excited for this change to come. As grateful as I am that he's had the isolette to keep him warm and well, isolated, I am growing tired of looking at my baby through plastic.

Today I got to give him his first real bath. He loved it. He freaked out a little at first, and the expression on his face was one of, "What in the world?" It only took a minute or two though before he totally relaxed. (Sorry no pics/video--we realized at the end that the camera wasn't recording--D'oh!) It's always nice to be able to do anything to care for him. I can almost forget for a minute where we are.

On a completely unrelated note: This afternoon Jaska was relaxing in the living room and flipping channels from one Bond or Steven Segal movie to another. I wasn't paying attention until I realize that for a while I'd been hearing the most bizarre dialogue. I walk into the living room and he's totally engrossed in (I'm totally serious) Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines circa 1965. His comment after I expressed my incredulity? "This is pretty tight."

He seriously watched almost the whole thing. I'm just a little bit weirded out.

No comments: