Thursday, March 29, 2007


"The mere sense of living is joy enough."--Emily Dickinson

"The sun does not shine for a few trees and flowers, but for the wide world's joy."
---Henry Ward Beecher

So sweet.



So incredibly disturbing.
Hello world. Meet my husband Jaska.
(My favorite is the look on Isaac's face---"umm...help?")


Jaska's sister Sari visiting from Houston. We loved having her visit (Thanks Sari! We miss you already!)




What a whirlwind of a week. The steroids have been working really well for Isaac which is so fantastic. It's almost freaky how well they have worked. After some strong negotiations on both sides :) we agreed on a plan for weaning Isaac off the CPAP. As of 4 pm today, Isaac is on the cannula full-time. Another miracle. What an amazing thing. All this time and then in a matter of days, he is ready. Seriously, I have a newfound appreciation for steroids. :) It is amazing what a simple yet complicated thing breathing is. So necessary, yet how often do I think about breathing? I don't think I will ever take it for granted again. There are so very many things I will not take for granted again.

Isaac is really ready to take food by mouth. Since he is off the CPAP, we are going to try to start breastfeeding tomorrow (woo hoo!). It will be slow-going and probably very stop and start as he gets used to it, but just the fact that we are even at this point is mind boggling to me. Even a week ago I thought it would be so far away and here we are.

When Isaac will come home is still up in the air, since they really want him off the cannula before they send him home. He's also been having trouble with his billirubin levels (which is why he's always orange in the pictures--our cute little oompa loompa) which may be indicative of some liver trouble if the levels don't go down. Other than that, things are looking really up for Isaac. At this point, he just needs to keep doing what he is doing and get over these last couple of speed bumps.

He is still "only" 4 lbs 6 oz. His weight is going up again though, so hopefully he won't lose any more.

Isaac is really a little sweetheart. At the beginning, he would get so mad and overwhelmed, but since he's been over the infection, he is so much more mellow and even-tempered. He still gets mad (really mad) if you're doing something he doesn't like, but otherwise, he's pretty chill. My favorite is when they have him all wrapped up like a burrito and all you can see is his little head sticking out. He'll just be looking around, trying to decide if anything is interesting enough to keep him awake. He looks like those glowworm dolls from the 80's--it doesn't help that he's orange. :)

Totally random info--I was looking around on itunes for lullaby music to bring to the hospital and found---you will not believe it--lullaby versions of U2 songs! I actually squealed I was so excited ( I am not a squealer). For those of you who do not know about my undying love for the band U2, this discovery completes me. :)

No comments: